Ensuring that your home is protected from any disaster is a high priority. As many as 59,000 house fires happen a year in the United Kingdom. Being able to spot the causes of house fires will make sure that your home isn’t added to the statistic. So what are the common causes and how can you prevent them from causing fires?
Faulty electrical appliances
Poor wiring in the home or exposed wiring can lead to house fires. Overloaded power strips or circuits can causes fires with just a few sparks by overheating which will damage the insulation. Keep the use of extension cords to an absolute minimum and regularly check your appliance wiring. If an appliance plug feels warm or gives off a strange smell, unplug it immediately.
Avoid using these as clothe dryers as cotton can ignite at 200 degrees Celsius. Fan and radiator heaters can quickly overheat if left covered. Heaters should be placed in areas where they are not obstructed and can stand safely without being knocked over. Like open fires, a heater should be properly guarded in the event of curious small children.
Never leave a cigarette or pip unattended. Ensure that you have stubbed out a cigar or cigarette when finished as the embers can cause fires if caught by bed linens or sofa material. Avoid falling asleep while smoking and start a routine where you smoke outside.
One of the areas of the home where fires can occur. One of the main culprits is the chip pan. Never leave a chip pan unattended and cover it with a damp cloth for 30 minutes if it catches on fire. It is advised to set up a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, mounted within an easy reach.
We all want a room to look and smell nice and nothing does that more with scented candles. While they add a nice atmosphere, they also prove a potential fire hazard. Keep them upright at all times and never leave them unattended. Ensure they are not near any flammable materials and when leaving the room, make sure they are blown out.
As with faulty electrical appliances, wall outlets can prove dangerous too. Ensure they are securely fitted and should not be loose; any loose plugs can lead to overheating. You should also have your house wiring inspected if it is over 20 years old. If the wall outlet fits a plug loosely, you should contact an electrician immediately.
Liquids such as fuels, solvents, cleaning agents and paints that are placed near heating sources can ignite or explode. The vapours released can ignite from a small spark or high temperature. Keep them in well ventilated, cool areas.
In any environment, be it at home or business, contacting a technician to do a fire safety analysis on your home, can be extremely beneficial. They can point out any fire risks in your home to prevent the possibility of fire and provide any advice for the future.
By Harry Price
Harry Price is a guest blogger and personal trainer. He enjoys living life as a bachelor and playing competitive poker with his mates on the weekends.