Every house somewhere down the line needs some kind of renovation as peoples tastes change, their circumstances and budgets change or things just need replacing. Your home is one of the biggest, if not the biggest investment you will ever make in your lifetime. In order to have fruitful returns on the investment it is important that you take care of your investment properly. Houses need necessary repairs and maintenance not just to stay modern and up to date, but to stay safe too. Regular maintenance will significantly increase the value of your house too. When you sit down to make some changes to the house there are several things or should I say several ideas that come to mind. Here are 7 tips that anyone can follow for cheap home renovations.
- The first thing you need to plan and strategise what exactly is you’re looking for. You need to sit down with a designer and let them know the specific requirements. This is considered important because if it is not well planned you may find your designer has taken their creative licence a little too far.
- You can actually start with the demolition on your own. If you have a tight budget, you can save some money by being your own demolition team. Obviously you can’t simply take a sledge hammer and start tearing walls down, but a little research and planning could save some cash or ask around your friends, someone is bound to know a builder or someone who could give you some pointers.
- When remodelling or renovating the house you must consider using as much natural light as possible. This is in fact the best thing you can do to save expenses on installing expensive lights and chandeliers. You can actually go ahead and design the doors and windows in such a way that are able to provide enough light in the room.
- Another thing that one can do is use natural stones instead of tiles and marble. In fact natural stones have been used for several years and have now become really very popular. There are many options available but these days the most popular among them is limestone. It has several qualities which makes it a very sensible investment, including its strength and cost.
- If you are thinking of hiring a contractor make sure that you take several quotations before selecting one. As there are plenty of contractors available in the market finding a cheap and affordable contractor will not be that difficult. You should always remember that in search of an affordable contractor one must never compromise on the quality of the work just for a cheap price and if they look to good to be true they probably are.
- Another thing that can be done to save remodelling cost is search for items in second hand shops and online. There are plenty of websites out there (like Freecycle and Gumtree) that can help your source almost anything for cheap so long as you’re not too specific. Have a wonder round a few junk shops and second hand shops and you’ll be surprised what you might find, remember, one man’s junk is another man’s treasure.
- Lastly you should always buy the construction material on your own, and save some money on the commission that a contractor can charge you by being a middleman. Even if it turns out they were offering the lowest price it’s always better to check yourself just in case.
Don’t forget there’s a difference between being frugal and penny pinching, if you only ever pay the cheapest price for everything you need to question the quality you’ll be getting in return and if something looks too good to be true it probably is.
About the author: Sam writes for furniture website Home Furniture Range who are always happy to help with any decor or interior design questions you might have.